All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOffender rehabilitation has become increasingly and almost exclusively associated with structured cognitive-behavioural programmes. For fifty years, however, a small number of English prisons have promoted an alternative method of rehabilitation: the democratic therapeutic community (TC). These prisons offer long-term prisoners convicted of serious offences the opportunity to undertake group psychotherapy within an overtly supportive and esteem-enhancing living environment. Drawing upon original research conducted with 'residents' (prisoners) and staff at three TC prisons, Offender Rehabilitation and Therapeutic Communities provides a uniquely evocative and engaging portrayal of the TC regime. Individual chapters focus on residents' adaptation to 'the TC way' of rehabilitation and imprisonment; the development of caring relationships between community members; residents' contributions towards the safe and efficient running of their community; and the greater assimilation of sexual offenders within TCs for men, made possible in part by a lessening in 'hypermasculinity'. By analyzing residents' own accounts of 'desistance in process' in the TC, this book argues that TCs help offenders to change by enabling positive developments to their personal identity and self-narratives: to the ways in which they see themselves and their life. The radically 'different' penal environment allows its residents to become someone 'different'.
- Author BiographyAlisa Stevens is Lecturer in Criminal Justice Studies at the University of Kent. Her main areas of research interest are the correctional services (prisons and probation), offender rehabilitation, and desistance from crime.
- Author(s)Alisa Stevens
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication10/03/2014
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleInternational Series on Desistance and Rehabilitation
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight362 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.