All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor decades, studies of oil-related conflicts have focused on the effects of natural resource mismanagement, resulting in great ecomic booms and busts or violence as rebels fight ruling governments over their regions' hydrocarbon resources. In Oil Sparks in the Amazon, Patricia I. Vasquez writes that while oil busts and civil wars are common, the tension over oil in the Amazon has played out differently, in a way inextricable from the region itself.
Oil disputes in the Amazon primarily involve local indigeus populations. These groups' social and cultural identities differ from the rest of the population and the diverse disputes over land, displacement, water contamination, jobs and wealth distribution reflect those differences. Vasquez spent fifteen years travelling to the oil-producing regions of Latin America, conducting hundreds of interviews with the stakeholders in local conflicts. She analyses fifty-five social and environmental clashes related to oil and gas extraction in the Andean countries (Peru, Ecuador and Colombia). She also examines what triggers local hydrocarbons disputes and offers policy recommendations to resolve or prevent them.
Vasquez argues that each case should be analysed with attention to its specific sociopolitical and ecomic context. She shows how the key to preventing disputes that lead to local conflicts is to address structural flaws (such as poor governance and inadequate legal systems) and nstructural flaws (such as stakeholders' attitudes and behaviour) at the outset. Doing this will require more than strong political commitments to ensure the equitable distribution of oil and gas revenues. It will require attention to the local values and culture as well.
- Author BiographyPATRICIA I. VASQUEZ is an independent energy expert and former Jennings Randolph senior fellow at the U.S. Institute of Peace and an advisor on energy and sustainable development issues. Previously, she was the head of the Latin America Department at Energy Intelligence.
- Author(s)Patricia I. Vasquez
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication30/10/2013
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitleStudies in Security and International Affairs
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.