All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBeautiful, inventive, ambitious and nuts. -The Times (London) Our nearest contemporary equivalent to Blake, our sweetest-natured screwed-up visionary. -London Evening Standard Alasdair Gray's unique melding of humor and metafiction at once hearken back to Laurence Sterne and sit beside today's literary mash-ups with equal comfort. Old Men in Love is smart, down-to-earth, funny, bawdy, politically inspired, dark, multi-layered, and filled with the kind of intertextual play that Gray delights in. As with Gray's previous vel Poor Things, several partial narratives are presented together. Here the conceit is that they were all discovered in the papers of the late John Tunck, a retired Glasgow teacher who started a number of vels in settings as varied as Periclean Athens, Renaissance Florence, Victorian Somerset, and Britain under New Labour. This is the first US edition (updated with the author's corrections from the UK edition) of a vel that British critics lauded as one of the best of Gray's long career. Beautifully printed in two colors throughout and featuring Gray's trademark strong design, Old Men in Love will stand out from everything else on the shelf. Fifty percent is fact and the rest is possible, but it must be read to be believed. Alasdair Gray is one of Scotland's most well-kwn and acclaimed artists. He is the author of nine vels, including Lanark, 1982 Janine, and the Whitbread and Guardian Prize-winning Poor Things, as well as four collections of stories, two collections of poetry, and three books of nfiction, including The Book of Prefaces. He lives in Glasgow, Scotland.
- Author BiographyAlasdair Gray is one of Scotland's most well-known and acclaimed artists. He is the author of nine novels, including Lanark, 1982 Janine, and the Whitbread and Guardian Prize-winning Poor Things, as well as four collections of stories, two collections of poetry, and three books of nonfiction, including The Book of Prefaces. He lives in Glasgow, Scotland.
- Author(s)Alasdair Gray
- PublisherSmall Beer Press
- Date of Publication17/06/2010
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationNorthampton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBig Mouth House
- Content Note10 Woodcuts
- Weight614 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.84Trending at AU $16.69
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.66
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.43
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.27
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $22.55
- AU $34.27Trending at AU $40.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.