All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFocusing on two well-established institutions one in Chicago, the other in Los Angeles Old Wisdom in the New World is the first systematic examination of the growing presence of Theravada Buddhist temples in the United States. Paul David Numrich's socio-historical analysis highlights a number of classic Americanization themes of establishment, growth, and adaptation. These have surfaced, the author shows, in debates over the retention of Old World culture and language, the problem of the second generation, and the role of the laity in religious institutions. Going beyond such familiar themes, Numrich also uncovers the intriguing phemen of ethnically defined parallel congregations in these temples, as he reveals the ways in which Asian-immigrant Buddhists and American converts pursue substantively different expressions of the Theravada tradition under the direction of a shared clerical leadership, the resident monks. In the author's view, these Theravada case studies underline the complexity of the present Americanization process. By examining the intersection of two important trends the steady growth of Asian immigration and an increasing indigeus interest in new religious movements, especially those of Asian origin this book points to some fascinating new directions for the study of religious and cultural diversity in the United States.The Author: Paul David Numrich is a research associate in the Religion in Urban America Program at the University of Illiis at Chicago.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Paul David Numrich is a research associate in the Religion in Urban America Program at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Author(s)Co-Director Religion Immigration and Civil Society in Chicago Project Paul David Numrich
- PublisherUniversity of Tennessee Press
- Date of Publication15/08/1999
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationChicago
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Tennessee Press
- Weight286 g
- Width153 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.