All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCapitalism dominates ecomies all over the world and is a key force in the process of globalization. What makes it such a uniquely dynamic social and ecomic force, however, is open to debate. The essays in this book take up this issue, offering theories on both what encourages and what blocks capitalism. In On Capitalism leading ecomists, sociologists, and political scientists develop ideas and insights into the dynamic of capitalism as a global ecomic order. Unlike studies that focus only on localized descriptions of what has made capitalism function in a specific place, these essays examine the general mechanisms that account for dynamic or rational capitalism. As each chapter shows, the mechanisms motivating and facilitating today's global capitalism are t rooted in the materialist domain of incremental capital accumulation, but in the realm of ideas and institutional structures. Taken as a whole, these essays offer a rich account of the interconnectedness of the ecomic, political, and religious institutions of modern capitalism.
- Author BiographyVictor Nee is Goldwin Smith Professor of Sociology and Director of the Center for the Study of Economy and Society at Cornell University. Richard Swedberg is Professor of Sociology at Cornell University.
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication12/07/2007
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Note8 tables, 21 figures
- Weight494 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byRichard Swedberg,Victor Nee
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.31New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $25.42Trending at AU $25.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.