All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn Harrisonville Avenue takes the reader on an entertaining journey to the mid 1950's. Living in a booming steel-town on the Ohio River, 13 year old Ron is confronted with the many town characters - the Mayor, the town drunk, the barbershop, denizens of the pool hall, Alex the Greek, Eddie the Lawyer and the Police. Loving family, friends and teachers support him through his coming of age, complete with many humorous and awkward encounters. Ducktails, slow dancing, 45rpm, school paddling, pigs in a blanket, curb feelers, tailfins, the Col.Bogey March, Spin the Bottle, Elear Roosevelt, musicians, baseball, lipstick on your collar and Whila -- all part of a special time. The stories included provide a patchwork experience of the area and a glimpse into today. An easy read in an anecdotal style, On Harrisonville Avenue will amuse younger and older readers alike with its naivete and genuine situations -- perhaps reminiscent of your own !
- Author BiographyThe Author, Ron Giles, grew up in Southern Ohio. After degrees at Ohio University (BS History Education) and the Ohio State University (Masters in Television and Film), Mr. Giles began a career as a teacher in Columbus, Ohio -- but then changed careers going into Television as a Producer-Director and later as a Television Executive, working at WBNS-TV, Columbus, OH; WCPO-TV, Cincinnati, OH; WBZ-TV, Boston, MA; Warner QUBE, Columbus, OH and Pittsburgh, PA; and the Mullin Production Group, Westlake Village, CA. During his time in TV Production, Ron was awarded 6 regional EMMYs and a Golden Iris award from the National Association of Television Programming Executives. In 1986, Ron was one of the original management team that launched QVC, the Shopping Channel, where he was Executive Vice President of Broadcasting and created the QVC Television format. In 1996, he formed his own consultancy, and has since worked with Television clients in Germany, Mexico, Brazil, Australia, The United Kingdom, South Korea, China and the United States. Ron specializes in creating start-up operations, especially for those wishing to enter the business of televised shopping. Ron and his wife, Joan, a fine pianist, continue a musical life with Hymns and Their Stories, a congregational singing service for Churches about the composers and poets who wrote familiar Hymns.
- Author(s)Ronald D Giles
- PublisherBooksurge Publishing
- Date of Publication13/06/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBooksurge Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight191 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.03Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.