All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn Mysticism is a collection of Borges' essays, fiction and poetry that explores the role of the mysterious and spiritual in Borges' life and writing. Borges had profound kwledge of eastern religions and was raised by a philosophically astute father. As a result he was preoccupied with a metaphysical uneasiness that infiltrated his work. This book is a unique collection of Borges' meditations on the mystical realm that fascinated him so much. For more than seventy years, Penguin has been the leading publisher of classic literature in the English-speaking world. With more than 1,700 titles, Penguin Classics represents a global bookshelf of the best works throughout history and across genres and disciplines. Readers trust the series to provide authoritative texts enhanced by introductions and tes by distinguished scholars and contemporary authors, as well as up-to-date translations by award-winning translators.
- Author BiographyJorges Luis Borgeswas born in Buenos Aires in 1899 and educated in Europe. One of the most widely acclaimed writers of our time, he published many collections of poems, essays and short stories, before his death in Geneva in June 1986.In 1961 Borges shared the International Publishers' Prize with Samuel Beckett. The Ingram Merrill Foundation granted him its Annual Literary Award in 1966 for his outstanding contribution to literature. In 1971 Columbia University awarded him the first of many degrees of Doctor of Letters, honoris causa that he was to receive from the English-speaking world. In 1971 he received the fifth biennial Jerusalem Prize and in 1973 was given the Alfonso Reyes Prize, one of Mexico's most prestigious cultural awards. In 1980 he shared the Cervantes Prize (the Spanish world's highest literary accolade) with Gerardo Diego. Borges was Director of the Argentine National Library from 1955 until 1973. In a tribute to Borges, Mario Vargas Llosa wrote: His is a world of clear, pure, and at the same time unusual ideas...expressed in words of great directness and restraint. [He] was a superb storyteller. One reads most of Borges' tales with the hypnotic interest usually reserved for reading detective fiction...
- Author(s)Jorge Luis Borges
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication06/07/2010
- LanguageEnglish & English
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectThe Occult & Mythology
- Series TitlePenguin Classics
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight109 g
- Width137 mm
- Height195 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Edited byMaria Kodama,Suzanne Jill Levine
- Introduction byMaria Kodama
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.