All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
About this product
- DescriptionPauperism and pauperization are two of the most persistent and widespread phemena in India. While a fierce debate rages on the line separating the poor from the n-poor, there is scant discussion on the huge mass of pauperst less than one-fifth of the countrys populationliving in destitution. Rural and urban case studies conducted in the state of Gujarat highlight the ordeal of these paupersthe n-labouring poor unable to take care of themselves, the migrant labour driven away from the village and back for lack of work, and an urban underclass redundant to demand, often experienced by the better-off as a nuisance. A comparative study of the politics and policies in present-day India in relation to the condition of the ultra-poor in Victorian England reveals a disturbing common factora deeply ingrained mindset of social inequality resembling the spirit of nineteenth-century social Darwinism. That ideology of discrimination and exclusion is back with a vengeance the world all over and t least in India. This book examines poverty and inequality through a sociologicalanthropological lens that goes beyond the quantitative and unravels the fuzzy landscape of the informal ecomy. It fills a conspicuous gap in the literature on casual labourthat on the floating and footloose transient labour.
- Author BiographyJan Breman is Professor Emeritus at the Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research, University of Amsterdam, and Honorary Fellow at the International Institute of Social History in Amsterdam.
- Author(s)Jan Breman
- PublisherOUP India
- Date of Publication18/02/2016
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintOUP India
- Weight486 g
- Width148 mm
- Height223 mm
- Spine24 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.