All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book, one of the earliest by Christos Yannaras, was first published in 1967 and has become a contemporary classic. Yannaras begins by outlining Heidegger's analysis of the fate of western metaphysics, which ends, he argues, in a nihilistic atheism. Yannaras's response is largely to accept Heidegger's analysis, but to argue that, although it applies to the western tradition of what Heidegger calls onto theology (which regards God as a 'being', even if the highest), it does t take account of the Orthodox tradition of apophatic theology, of which Dionysius the Areopagite is a pre-eminent example. A God 'beyond being' escapes the criticism of Heidegger, and provides an alternative to Heidegger's nihilistic conclusion.
- Author BiographyChristos Yannaras is Professor of Philosophy at the Pantion University, Athens. Haralambos Ventis received his PhD in Philosophy from the Catholic University of Leuven Professor Andrew Louth is Professor of Patristics in the University of Durham. He is also Head of Department for theology. He was formerly Dean and Fellow of Worcester College, Oxford.
- Author(s)Christos Yannaras
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication14/12/2006
- Series TitleT&T Clark Academic Paperbacks S.
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintT.& T.Clark Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight176 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byAndrew Louth
- Translated byHaralambos Ventis
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.86
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.