All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionThe media often talk about public opinion, the 'American' or 'British' public, or the movie-going public. A public can hold an opinion and be divided. What is the public and where did it come from? Is there one public or many? Is the very idea of the public a myth? In this fascinating book, Alastair Hannay explores these questions and unpacks a much talked about but little understood phemen. He begins by tracing the origins of the public back to ancient Rome, before arguing that the idea of a public sphere is closely linked to the birth of democracy in the eighteenth century. He also reflects on the Enlightenment and the origins of public opinion, as well as considering the role of the media in creating and manipulating the public, and asks whether the very idea of the public might be uprooted and undermined by the Internet and global techlogy. Engaging and controversial in equal measure, On the Public also draws on famous thinkers who have written about the public, such as Kierkegaard, Hannah Arendt, John Dewey and Jurgen Habermas.
- Author BiographyAlastair Hannay is Emeritus Professor of philosophy at the University of Oslo. He is the author of many books, including Mental Images and Kierkegaard. He has translated several of Kierkegaard's works for Penguin Classics and was for many years the editor of the journal Inquiry, also published by Routledge.
- Author(s)Alastair Hannay
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication23/03/2005
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleThinking in Action
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight182 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.