All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn my judgment, the ecclesial and theological movement that began after the Second Vatican Council in Latin America under the name 'liberation theology, ...is one of the most significant currents of Catholic theology in the 20th century. --Cardinal Gerhard Ludwig Muller For many years the theology of liberation, which emerged from Latin America in the 1970's, was viewed with suspicion in Rome. It was the subject of a critical tification from the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, and many of its leading proponents were disciplined or silenced. Now, an historic exchange between Gustavo Gutierrez, author of the seminal work A Theology of Liberation, and Cardinal Muller, the current Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Fiath, signals a new chapter in this ongoing dialogue. Cardinal Muller, a former student of Gutierrez who spent many summers working in Peru, writes with deep feeling and conviction about the contributions of liberation theology to church teaching--particularly in articulating the preferential option for the poor. In his contributions, Gutierrez lays out the essential ideas of liberation theolgoy, its ecclesail location, and its fresh enunciation of the gospel for our time.
- Author BiographyGustavo Gutierrez, a Dominican priest and theologian from Peru, is the author of A Theology of Liberation, On Job: God-Talk and the Suffering of the Innocent, We Drink from Our Own Wells, The God of Life, and many other books. He teaches at the University of Notre Dame. Gerhard Ludwig Muller was ordained as a priest in 1971. After teaching dogmatic theology in Munich, he was appointed bishop of Regensberg. In 2012 he was appointed Prefect for the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. He was named a Cardinal in 2014.
- Author(s)Gerhard Ludwig Muller,Gustavo Gutierrez
- PublisherOrbis Books (USA)
- Date of Publication27/03/2015
- SubjectChristian Theology
- Place of PublicationMaryknoll
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOrbis Books (USA)
- Width137 mm
- Height210 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.82Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.06Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.