All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis timely book explores the debate about how best to engage children in the writing of nfiction and suggests many instructional strategies for K-6 classrooms. Using transcripts and descriptions of children's actual writing practices, the authors show that children willingly embrace nfiction writing when the genre is given an important place in the classroom. Drawn from the authors' classroom-based research study with third graders, this groundbreaking volume: explores in detail the intertextual patterns that children adopt when writing nfiction reports; documents the ways in which peer and teacher influence fuel and direct children's writing; identifies four types of nfiction writers - strategic, experience-only, memory-only, and textbound - and presents case studies with excerpts from interviews and nfiction reports; and offers a set of instructional guidelines for supporting and extending expository writing, including sample lessons and curricular activities.
- Author BiographyCarol Brennan Jenkins teaches courses in literacy and coordinates the elementary education program at Boston University. Alice Altfillisch Earle has taught third grade for over 20 years and is currently pursuing certification as a principal.
- Author(s)Alice Altfillisch Earle,Carol Brennan Jenkins
- PublisherTeachers' College Press
- Date of Publication15/10/2006
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleLanguage & Literacy
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTeachers' College Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width159 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Foreword byAileen Pace Nilsen
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.