All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThrough photographs and words, Once and Future River: Reclaiming the Duwamish explores the complicated relationship between Seattleites and their only river. Central to the indigeus settlement that preceded the city, the Duwamish was critical to Seattles founding and growth, but it has paid a steep price. Straightened, filled with trash and toxins, and generally neglected by those who benefited from it the most, the river was declared a Superfund site in 2001. Long before then, however, some Seattleites were already trying to reclaim their river, and for almost twenty years, Tom Reese has documented the river landscape and the people engaged with this important place. His images bring forward what might seem like contradictions: a seal surfacing near an active sewage pipe, a family playing at a park adjacent to a barge loaded with scrap metal, a salmon swimming past a sunken tire. His attentive study offers a way t to turn away from this river, but rather to learn to understand the changed beauty of the Duwamish and the possibilities for its future.
- Author BiographyTom Reese is an independent photographer and editor. Eric Wagner writes about science and nature. James Rasmussen is a Duwamish Tribal member and director of the Duwamish River Cleanup Coalition.
- PublisherUniversity of Washington Press
- Date of Publication28/04/2016
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Washington Press
- Content Note93 colour illustrations, 3 maps, 93 color illus., 3 maps
- Weight908 g
- Width274 mm
- Height221 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Photographs byTom Reese
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.