All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor a long while w, C. D. Wright has been writing some of the greatest poetry-cum-prose you can find in American literature. One Big Self does to the contemporary prison-industrial complex what James Agee did to poverty it reacts passionately and lyrically (and idiosyncratically) to a sociopolitical abomination. This book, while angry and sorrowful and bewildered, has humor, constant levity and candor, and countless moments of incredible beauty. Dave Eggers, The New York Times Book Review Wright has found a way to wed fragments of an iconic America to a lumiusly strange idiom, eerie as a tin whistle, which she uses to evoke the haunted quality of our carnal existence. The New Yorker Inspired by numerous visits inside Louisiana state prisonswhere MacArthur Fellow C.D. Wright served as a factotum for a portrait photographer One Big Self bears witness to incarcerated men and women and speaks to the psychic toll of protracted time passed in constricted space. It is a riveting mosaic of distinct voices, epistolary pieces, elements from a moralistic board game, road signage, prison data, inmate correspondence, and counts of thingsfrom baby s teeth to chigger bites: Count your folding money Count the times you said you wouldn t go back Count your debts Count the roaches when the light comes on Count your kids after the housefire One Big Self originally published as a large-format limited edition that featured photographs and textwas selected by The New York Times and The Village Voice as a table book of the year. This edition features the poem exclusively. C.D. Wright is the author of ten books of poetry, including several collaborations with photographer Deborah Luster. She is a professor at Brown University.
- Author BiographyC.D. Wright, a Professor of English at Brown University, is the author of eleven books of poetry, as well as several collaborative works with photographer Deborah Luster, most recently One Big Self: Prisoners of Louisiana. She has earned fellowships from the MacArthur and Guggenheim foundations, and is the recipient of a Lannan Literary Award. She lives in Rhode Island.
- Author(s)C D Wright,CD Wright
- PublisherCopper Canyon Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2007
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCopper Canyon Press
- Weight218 g
- Width181 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.