One Good Year: A Mother and Daughter's Educational Adventure by Laura Brodie (Paperback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $19.81Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $9.99+ AU $19.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Laura Brodie decides to homeschool her eldest daughter, her husband isn't the only one to cast her a wary glance. Countless friends and relatives question Brodie's sanity, but, after years of watching her eldest daughter struggle in the rigid public school system, she kws Julia needs a break from the uninspired and overcrowded routine threatening to drag her into depression. One Good Year is a lyrical memoir that recounts the battles and joys that emerge between a mother and daughter when they embark upon a year of homeschooling; steeped in the colors and characters of a small Virginia town, Laura and Julia's story deals in human foibles as much as human potential, describing love and anger along with reading and math. When many think of homeschooling, they envision a fundamentalist Christian mom sitting at her kitchen table, teaching creationism alongside algebra, or a family of bohemian unschoolers, tending a vegetable garden with fertilizer. But today, home education has taken hold among America's mainstream, with more and more parents turning to homeschooling as an attractive solution for short-term educational problems. As homeschooling gains legitimacy, Brodie offers once-reluctant parents a do-it-yourself solution to overcrowded public classrooms and expensive private schools. While most of us consider even one sw day a particular form of parental hell, Brodie embraced the challenge to do what traditional education could t: give her daughter a sabbatical to explore, learn, create, and grow-a year of independent research and writing to rejuvenate Julia's love of learning. It was anything but easy, but through the laughter and tears (and, of course, yelling), they forged an invaluable bond that will undoubtedly last a lifetime.
- Author BiographyLaura Brodie is the author of Breaking Out: VMI and the Coming of Women and the novel The Widow's Season. She lives in Lexington, Virginia, with her husband and three daughters, and teaches English at Washington and Lee University.
- Author(s)Laura Brodie
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers Inc
- Date of Publication05/05/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight204 g
- Width135 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.