All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.76
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.73
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.11
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.59
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.82
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.93
- AU $24.31Trending at AU $28.10
About this product
- Description`A letter is handed to you. In broken English, it tells you that you must w vacate your farm; that this is longer your home, for it w belongs to the crowd on your doorstep. Then the drums begin to beat.' As the land invasions gather pace, the Retzlaffs begin an epic journey across Zimbabwe, facing eviction after eviction, trying to save the group of animals with whom they feel a deep and enduring bond - the horses.When their neighbours flee to New Zealand, the Retzlaffs promise to look after their horses, and making similar promises to other farmers along their journey, t kwing whether they will be able to feed or save them, they amass an astonishing herd of over 300 animals. But the final journey to freedom will be arduous, and they can take only 104 horses.Each with a different personality and story, it is t just the family who rescue the horses, but the horses who rescue the family. Grey, the silver gelding: the leader. Brutus, the untamed colt. Princess, the temperamental mare.One Hundred and Four Horses is the story of an idyllic existence that falls apart at the seams, and a story of incredible bonds - a love of the land, the strength of a family, and of the connection between man and the most majestic of animals, the horse.
- Author BiographyMandy Retzlaff grew up in Ghana before moving to what was then Rhodesia. She married her husband Patrick in 1978, and in 1980 they took up farming. After being forced to hand over their Farm to the Zimbabwe War Veterans Association in 2000, they eventually fled across the border to Mozambique, rescuing horses from other evicted farmers along the way. The Retzlaffs run a horse safari company on the Mozambique coast, taking tourists on rides through the wild and wonderful country that they now call home.
- Author(s)Mandy Retzlaff
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication01/04/2013
- SubjectTrue Stories
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHarperCollins Publishers Ltd
- Out-of-print date05/06/2015
- Weight362 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.