All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA firestorm of controversy developed when Michael Newdow challenged the constitutionality of the phrase under God in the Pledge of Allegiance. In order to understand the legal issues and the public reaction, One Nation Under God? explores the history of the government's references to God in our national motto, on coins, and in other governmental anuncements, along with a history of the Pledge of Allegiance. The book discusses the setting of American civil religion and other aspects of American culture and then delves into the background of the Constitution and the Supreme Court's Establishment Clause rulings needed to understand the courts' rulings on such governmental uses of God. State and federal cases on In God We Trust and under God in the Pledge of Allegiance and other references to God are also explored. Finally, a new rationale for accepting these prouncements as constitutional is presented.
- Author BiographyRichard H. Jones holds a Ph.D. from Columbia University in the history and philosophy of religion and an A.B. from Brown University in religions studies. He also earned a J.D. from the University of California in Berkeley. He lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Richard H. Jones
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication03/09/2013
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Weight295 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.30
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.63Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.