All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTranslation is a journey a journey undertaken by the text, hopping around the world and mischievously border-crossing from one language to ather, from one culture to ather. For a translator, this journey can become a truly creative engagement with the otherness of the source text, an experience of self-discovery leading to understanding and enrichment, and ultimately towards a new text. This singular literary experiment intends to magnify the idiosyncrasy of this translational journey. In the process translation reveals itself as an increasingly creative activity rather than simply a linguistic transfer. This volume consists of twelve translations of one poem: Les Fenetres by the French poet Apollinaire. The translators embarking on this project, all from different backgrounds and working contexts (poets, professional translators, academics, visual artists), were asked to engage with the inherent multimodality of this poem inspired by Robert Delaunay s Les Fenetres series of paintings. The result is a kaleidoscopic diversity of approaches and final products. Each translation is accompanied by self-reflective commentary which provides insight into the complex process and experience of translation, enticing the reader to join this journey too.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Eugenia Loffredo gained her Ph.D. in literary translation at the University of East Anglia. She has co-edited a collection of essays on the theme of translation and creativity: Translation and Creativity: Perspectives on Creative Writing and Translation Studies (2006). She teaches literature and translation at the University of East Anglia. Manuela Perteghella completed her Ph.D. at the University of East Anglia in the field of theatre translation. Her doctoral thesis focused on practices of drama translation and adaptation, with particular reference to collaboration. She co-edited the volume Translation and Creativity: Perspectives on Creative Writing and Translation Studies (2006). She is currently working as Senior Lecturer in Applied Translation at London Metropolitan University.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/11/2008
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Note45, 33 coloured and 12 b/w ill.
- Weight390 g
- Width220 mm
- Height150 mm
- Edited byEugenia Loffredo,Manuela Perteghella
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.