Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.40
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.67
About this product
- DescriptionThe Onehunga Boys Home, an orphanage on Mt Smart Road Auckland during the 1940's and '50's New Zealand, was home to thirty boys of various ages and backgrounds. The Orphanage became the Home of Kevin at four and a half, his brother at eight and his mother, recently deserted by his father, appointed as Assistant-Matron. 'One Tree Hill', is a collection of short stories set during Kevin's years, five to thirteen. The boys and events are as remembered but sometimes when recall is hazy, Kevin resorts to creative invention. A central focus is One Tree Hill, because much time was spent playing on it's slopes. Loyalty, security, commaraderie, empathy, friendship, and identity are themes throughout the stories. Character development, mainly concerning five friends, serves up sufficient substance enabling readers to develop an appreciation of all the Home boys. From the first story to the last, Kevin and friends are involved in escapades, part of their daily routine. Mostly, Kevin the child speaks, employing conversation, humour and life commentary. Older Kevin enters occasionally with different viewpoints. Constant banter among the five is the glue binding the Home kids together.
- Author BiographyI've no particular credentials to be any kind of writer. Throughout my school years I was attracted to writing, drawing comic scenes with captions and submitting pieces for my high school annual. Not until I took a 'life-writing' course years later did I launch into story telling seriously. Ironically, I became a teacher in New Zealand and continued in Vancouver. At retirement I began art projects seriously, then writing, supplimented with courses, workshops and reading. Currently, I write stories and poetry. There's always a project going.
- Author(s)Kevin Davies
- PublisherTrafford Publishing
- Date of Publication20/11/2009
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationVictoria
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintTrafford Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight364 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.