All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.56
About this product
- DescriptionBorn in 1921, Eileen Younghusband was just 18 when she joined the Women's Auxiliary Air Force (WAAF). During the Second World War she quickly demonstrated her keen intellect and mathematical skills, playing a crucial role in Fighter Command's underground Filter Room. Working gruelling shifts under ermous pressure she and her companions worked tirelessly, tracking the swarms of enemy aircraft that sought to break the British resolve. She even had the dubious hour of detecting the first of Hitler's devastating V2 rockets as it fell on an unsuspecting London.This book gives a vivid insight into the life of a young woman facing the grim reality of war.
- Author BiographyEileen Younghusband was born in London in 1921. After her wartime service in WAAF, she had a successful career in hotel management and catering, taking on the male establishment of the industry. She also ran a variety of businesses, from selling herbs to Fortnum & Mason to supplying thousands of tons of scrap metal for a company in Spain.At the age of 87, she graduated from the Open University as one of its Students of the Year. In 2013 Eileen was honoured with a British Empire Medal (BEM) for her services to lifelong learning.Eileen now lives in Wales, where she remains an active campaigner on health and education issues. She gives regular talks on the role of Radar in World War Two and the work of the Filter Room.In 2013 Eileen's writing was recognised by The People's Book Prize. Her book 'One Woman's War' won the non-fiction prize in the 2012/2013 national literary awards.
- PrizesWinner of People's Book Prize: Non-Fiction 2012/2013.
- Author(s)Eileen Younghusband
- PublisherCandy Jar Books
- Date of Publication11/01/2013
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationCardiff
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCandy Jar Books
- Width132 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.