All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume provides a state of the art overview of Online Intercultural Exchange (OIE) in university education and demonstrates how educators can use OIE to address current challenges in university contexts such as internationalisation, virtual mobility and intercultural foreign language education. Since the 1990s, educators have been using virtual interaction to bring their classes into contact with geographically distant partner classes to create opportunities for authentic communication, meaningful collaboration and first-hand experience of working and learning with partners from other cultural backgrounds. Online exchange projects of this nature can contribute to the development of learner automy, linguistic accuracy, intercultural awareness, intercultural skills and electronic literacies. Online Intercultural Exchange has w reached a stage where it is moving beyond individual classroom initiatives and is assuming a role as a major tool for internationalization, intercultural development and virtual mobility in universities around the globe. This volume reports qualitative and quantitative findings on the impact of OIE on universities in Europe and elsewhere and offers comprehensive guidance on using OIE at both pedagogical and techlogical levels. It provides theoretically-informed accounts of Online Intercultural Exchanges which will relevant to researchers in Computer Assisted Language Learning, Computer-Mediated Communication, or Virtual Education. Finally, contributors offer a collection of practitioner-authored and practically-oriented case studies for the benefit of teachers of foreign languages or in other subject areas who wish to engage in developing the digital literacy and intercultural competences of their learners.
- Author BiographyRobert O'Dowd teaches EFL and trains teachers at the University of Leon, Spain (www.unileon.es), where he is Director of International Training. He holds a PhD from the University of Essen. Tim Lewis has taught Languages and Cultures since 1980 in London, Sheffield and elsewhere. He is currently Director of Postgraduate Studies in the Centre for Research in Education and Educational Technology at the Open University.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication25/05/2016
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in Language and Intercultural Communication
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note16 black & white tables, 9 black & white halftones, 16 black & white line drawings
- Weight584 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byRobert O'Dowd,Tim Lewis
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.