Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionLesley Jeffries introduces a phemen which has t been given the attention it deserves - the contextual construction of oppositional meaning. These are opposites t recognisable as such out of context but that are clearly set up this way in the text concerned. The significance of oppositional meaning is well-kwn, and has been discussed by scholars for millennia, from Philosophy to Politics. But the main emphasis has always been on the conventional opposite: the opposite recognised by lexical semantics. Starting from socio-cultural viewpoints, moving to original research and then concluding with a new theoretical formulation, this book introduces and consolidates a significant new approach to the analysis of oppositional meaning. It closes with a discussion of the importance of constructed opposition in hegemonic practice and makes a case for the inclusion of opposition as a central tool of critical discourse analysis. It will be essential reading for researchers and graduates in stylistics, linguistics and language studies.
- Author BiographyProfessor Lesley Jeffries is Chair of English Language and Director of the Stylistics Research Centre at the University of Huddersfield, UK. She is also Chair of the Poetics and Linguistics Association (PALA) from 2007-10.
- Author(s)Lesley Jeffries
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication03/11/2011
- Series TitleAdvances in Stylistics: Research
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight231 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine9 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.