All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPL/SQL, Oracle's powerful procedural language, has been the cornerstone of Oracle application development for nearly 15 years. Although primarily a tool for developers, PL/SQL has also become an essential tool for database administration, as DBAs take increasing responsibility for site performance and as the lines between developers and DBAs blur. Until w, there has t been a book focused squarely on the language topics of special concern to DBAs Oracle PL/SQL for DBAs fills the gap. Covering the latest Oracle version, Oracle Database 10g Release 2 and packed with code and usage examples, it contains: * A quick tour of the PL/SQL language, providing eugh basic information about language fundamentals to get DBAs up and running * Extensive coverage of security topics for DBAs: Encryption (including both traditional methods and Oracle's new Transparent Data Encryption, TDE); Row-Level Security (RLS), Fine-Grained Auditing (FGA); and random value generation * Methods for DBAs to improve query and database performance with cursors and table functions * Coverage of Oracle scheduling, which allows jobs such as database monitoring and statistics gathering to be scheduled for regular execution Using Oracle's built-in packages (DBMS_CRYPTO, DBMS_RLS, DBMS_FGA, DBMS_RANDOM, DBMS_SCHEDULING) as a base, the book describes ways of building on top of these packages to suit particular organizational needs. Authors are Arup Nanda, Oracle Magazine 2003 DBA of the Year, and Steven Feuerstein, the world's foremost PL/SQL expert and coauthor of the classic reference, Oracle PL/SQL Programming. DBAs who have t yet discovered how helpful PL/SQL can be will find this book a superb introduction to the language and its special database administration features. Even if you have used PL/SQL for years, you'll find the detailed coverage in this book to be an invaluable resource.
- Author BiographySteven Feuerstein is considered one of the world's leading experts on the Oracle PL/SQL language. He is also the author of Oracle PL/SQL Programming (O'Reilly & Associates, Second Edition, 1997) and Advanced Oracle PL/SQL Programming with Packages (O'Reilly & Associates, 1996). Steven has been developing software since 1980 and worked for Oracle Corporation from 1987 to 1992. He is a partner with RevealNet, Inc. (www.revealnet.com) and is the chief architect of the RevealNet products, PL/SQL Knowledge Base and PL/Vision (a code library of prebuilt PL/SQL packages which accelerates PL/SQL-based application development). Steven also sysops RevealNet's PL/SQL Pipeline, an online community for PL/SQL developers (www.revealnet.com/plsql-pipeline). He can be reached through email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Steven is also president of PL/Solutions, which offers training and consulting on both PL/Vision and PL/SQL (www.plsolutions.com). Finally (on the Oracle side of Steven's life), he serves as codirector of the Oracle Practice at SSC, a systems management consulting firm based in Chicago (www.saraswati.com). Arup Nanda is a Senior Oracle DBA with 10 years of experience with a variety of projects using skills in Oracle Database Administration (DBA), Oracle Parallel Server, Performance Tuning, Security Administration, Replication, Distributed Databases, Enterprise Manager, Database Design, XML, System Design, Object-Based Design, Data Modeling, PL/SQL, Pro*C, C, Unix, NT, Shell Scripting. He has an MBA from Xavier Institute of Management, India.
- Author(s)Arup Nanda,Steven Feuerstein
- PublisherO'Reilly Media, Inc, USA
- Date of Publication04/11/2005
- SubjectComputing: Professional & Programming
- Place of PublicationSebastopol
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintO'Reilly Media, Inc, USA
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight722 g
- Width178 mm
- Height233 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.