All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith its mixture of politics, history, conflict and oratory, as well as many traditions and peculiarities and a host of characters, the village of Parliament provides a host of fascinating facts and interesting stories. And here for the first time is the definitive miscellany. Robert Rogers, Senior Officer of the House of Commons, takes us on an unstoppable textual tour of the heart of government, explaining everything from what's in the Dispatch Box to the original tune of the clock tower. Who Goes Home? includes affairs of state, history, clashes, speechmaking, architecture and oddities of every kind. What is Parliamentary language? Why is the House of Commons' colour green while the Lords is red? Did you kw that Disraeli was shouted down the first time he tried to speak? And what about the great events, such as Callaghan losing the 1979 vote of confidence, the hunting protest, and the characters such as the 17th Century Speaker who had such a squint -one could tell who he was looking at and calling to speak? As entertaining as it is informative, and with the unique kwledge of an insider, there is something of interest for everyone, in this fascinating and informative guide.
- Author BiographyRobert Rogers is the Clerk of the House of Commons of the United Kingdom. He is the principal author of How Parliament Works.
- Author(s)Robert Rogers
- PublisherBiteback Publishing
- Date of Publication03/07/2012
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintRobson Press
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine26 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.