All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $51.97Trending at AU $52.78
About this product
- DescriptionA classic resource in the modern study of the anthropology of law, this acclaimed book is w widely available again in an updated and expanded Second Edition. There are many societies that survive in a remarkably orderly fashion without the help of judges, law courts and policemen. They are small in scale and have relatively simple techlogies, lacking those centralized agencies which we associate with legal systems; yet early anthropologists did t hesitate to name law, along with kinship, politics and religion, as one of the facets of their subject. Simon Roberts contends, however, that legal theory has become too closely identified with our own arrangements in western societies to be of much help in cross-cultural studies of order. But conversely, by looking at the ways in which other societies keep order and solve disputes, he sheds valuable light on the contemporary debates about order in our own society, in a straightforward text which will be accessible to the general reader and anthropologist alike. Now in its Second Edition with a new Foreword and Afterword by the author, this rewned introduction to the anthropology of law is part of the Classics of Law & Society Series from Quid Pro Books. Its modern presentation uses larger font, margins, and dimensions than the original paperback edition, yet adds more pages.
- Author BiographySimon Roberts is an Emeritus Professor of Law at the London School of Economics.
- Author(s)Simon Roberts
- PublisherQuid Pro LLC
- Date of Publication17/04/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleClassics of Law & Society
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintQuid Pro LLC
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight277 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.