All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBuilding on the pioneering work of Edward Said in fresh and useful ways, contributors to this volume consider both historical contacts and literary influences in the formation of Latin American constructs of the Orient and the Self from colonial times to the present. In the process, they unveil wide-ranging manifestations of Orientalism. Contributors scrutinize the other great encounter, t with Europeans but with Arabic, Chinese, and Japanese cultures, as they marked Latin American societies from Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean to Peru, Argentina, and Brazil. The perspectives, experiences, and theories presented in these examples offer a comprehensive framework for understanding wide-ranging manifestations of Orientalism in Latin America and elsewhere in the developing world. Orientalism and Identity in Latin America expands current theoretical frameworks, juxtaposing historical, biographical, and literary depictions of Middle Eastern and Asian migrations, both of people and cultural elements, as they have been received, perceived, refashioned, and integrated into Latin American discourses of identity and difference. Underlying this intercultural dialogue is the hypothesis that the discourse of Orientalism and the process of Orientalization apply equally to Near Eastern and Far Eastern subjects as well as to immigrants, regardless of provenance and indeed to any individual or group who might be construed as Other by a particular dominant culture.
- Author BiographyErik Camayd-Freixas is Professor of Hispanic Studies and Director of Graduate Studies at Florida International University. He is the author of several books and co-edited the seminal Primitivism and Identity in Latin America.
- PublisherUniversity of Arizona Press
- Date of Publication30/03/2013
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationTucson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Arizona Press
- Content Noteblack & white line drawings, figures
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byErik Camayd-Freixas
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.83Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $21.54
- AU $21.94Trending at AU $23.07
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.