All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.75
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionThe Old State House in Hartford, Connecticut, was the site of two key political conventions in the early nineteenth century. The legislatures of Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island sent official delegations to the first Hartford Convention at the end of 1814, when the War of 1812 was going badly. This convention threatened to make a separate peace with Britain if certain amendments to the United States Constitution were t accepted, and fell into disgrace when the war came to an unexpectedly favorable conclusion. The second convention, in 1818, drafted a constitution that reformed the structure of government established in the Charter of 1662 and submitted its handiwork to the people for approval. Parts of the Constitution of 1818 survive in Connecticut's present form of government. Original Discontents contains twenty-five selections of newspaper and pamphlet commentary about this constitutional revision, introduced and antated by the editors, along with text of the Fundamental Orders of 1639, the Charter of Connecticut (1662), and the Constitution of 1818. This anthology is useful to all students of Connecticut history and relevant to enduring constitutional debates.
- Author BiographyRICHARD BUEL JR. is emeritus professor of history at Wesleyan University. He is the author of America on the Brink (2005) and lives in Essex, Connecticut. George J. Willauer is professor emeritus of English and American studies at Connecticut College. He is the editor of A Lyme Miscellany, 1776-1976 (1977) and lives in Lyme, Connecticut.
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication30/06/2007
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWesleyan University Press
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byJr.,Richard Buel
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.