All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe terror of atomic war, a paraid arms race, a stark divide between rich and poor in The Originals, L.E. Vollicks debut vel, Reagan-era legacies such as these are seen from the perspective of nightclub subculture and the food bank. Magpie Smith confronts a street-level zeitgeist of fatalism in the early 1990s, bringing to life in the process a dysfunctional family of disenfranchised youth, from Benny, the self-glamorizing drug dealer to Jackson, the overprotective bouncer at the Underground. When Jackson brutally beats a would-be thief at the club, Magpie must rethink her allegiances. Through a haze of illness, inebriation and LSD, what becomes increasingly clear is that individual interests are beginning to blow the solidarity of the Underground apart. Vexed by the disappearance of her friend and intellectual guide, PK, Magpie tries to hold things together, but is led increasingly to question the fragile foundations of both her own small world and the larger one.
- Author BiographyL.E. Sterling (Vollick) earned her M.A. in Creative Writing from Concordia University and a PhD in English Literature from McGill University. Her first novel, The Originals (DC Books, 2002), was an indie hit also published in French translation (Editions Triptyque, 2005) under her original pen name, L.E. Vollick. Her poetry, short stories, and a literary essay appear in several anthologies, including Desire, Doom & Vice (2005) and Population Me: Essays on David McGimpsey (2010). More recently she co-wrote the Sci-Fi web-series, Process: A Series of Events, slated for release in 2012. When she isnt working as a communications professional, Erin stays busy co-editing a collection of womens non-fiction dating stories, and writing her upcoming Urban Fantasy series, The Voodoo Wars as well as a Y/A novel involving fairies and trolls.
- Author(s)L. E. Sterling
- PublisherDC Books,Canada
- Date of Publication01/08/2002
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationMontreal, QC
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintDC Books,Canada
- Weight318 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.18
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.24
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $16.81
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.13
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.64
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $34.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.