All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis concise and highly illustrated textbook traces the evolution of the Cosmos from the Big Bang to the development of intelligent life on Earth, conveying clear science in an engaging narrative. By mapping the history of the Universe for introductory science and astrobiology courses for n-science majors, this book allows many of the most fascinating questions in science to be explored. What is the origin of the Universe? How do stars and planets form? How does life begin? How did intelligence arise? Are we alone in the Cosmos? Physics, chemistry, biology, astromy and geology are combined to create a chronicle of events in which the swirling vapors in the primordial cloud of the Universe evolved over billions of years into conscious life. Outlining, the latest discoveries in astrobiology, this textbook is suffused with the excitement of this fast-moving field. Instructor and student support is provided at www.cambridge.org/jastrow.
- Author BiographyRobert Jastrow is well known internationally as an astronomer and author of many widely acclaimed books. His initial research experience was in the field of nuclear physics, and his later work has been in planetary science, atmospheric physics, weather and climate prediction, and application of satellite observations to studies of earth resources. Dr Jastrow joined NASA when it was formed in 1958 and in 1961 set up NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, a U.S. Government laboratory charged with carrying out research in astronomy and planetary science. Michael Rampino is an associate professor of earth science and biology at New York University, and a research associate at GISS in New York. His research spans many areas of the earth sciences, especially the inter-relationships between the Earth's changing environments and the evolution of life. He is Series Co-Editor for the highly acclaimed Encyclopedia of Earth Sciences (Springer) and the Editor-in-Chief of the Earth Science Encyclopedia On-Line.
- Author(s)Michael R. Rampino,Robert Jastrow
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication23/10/2008
- SubjectAstronomy, Space & Time
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note245 colour illus.
- Weight1280 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $6.15New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.