All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn July 10, 1940, by a 570 to 80 margin, the representatives in the French parliament voted full powers to Philippe Petain, ending the Third Republic and paving the way for the collaborationist Vichy regime. Olivier Wieviorka offers a nuanced portrait of the individuals who determined the fate of France at this critical moment. Petain claimed to be saving France from ruin. The day of the vote has been described as a journee des dupes, the legislators so igrant or fearful that they voted without a thought to the consequences. But Wieviorka shows that most of the deputies made a considered decision to vote for Petain. He analyzes the factors, such as political culture and regional origins, that motivated the voting on both sides, and traces the men's fates through the war. Recreating the tense atmosphere of summer 1940, Wieviorka shows how pressures brought on by defeat could affect even the most hardened republicans. He illuminates the complex moral issues inherent in accommodation and collaboration in a time of crisis.
- Author BiographyOlivier Wieviorka is Professor at the Ecole Normale Superieure de Cachan, and author of Normandy: The Landings to the Liberation of Paris (Harvard).
- Author(s)Olivier Wieviorka
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication06/03/2009
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleHarvard Historical Studies
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 164
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard University Press
- Content Note1 map, 48 tables
- Weight771 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Translated byGeorge Holoch
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.92
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.46
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.91
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.14
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.09
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $80.22
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.