All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionOrpheus Descending is a love story, a plea for spiritual and artistic freedom, as well as a portrait of racism and intolerance. When charismatic drifter Valentine Xavier arrives in a Mississippi Delta town with his guitar and snakeskin jacket, he becomes a trigger for hatred and a magnet for three outcast souls: storekeeper Lady Torrance, lewd vagrant Carol Cutrere, and religious visionary Vee Talbot. Suddenly Last Summer, described by its author as a short morality play, has become one of his most torious works due in small part to the film version starring Elizabeth Taylor, Katharine Hepburn, and Montgomery Clift that shocked audiences in 1959. A menacing tale of madness, jealousy, and denial,the horrors in Suddenly Last Summer build to a heart-stopping conclusion. With perceptive new introductions by playwright Martin Sherman - he reframes Orpheus Descending in a political context and explores the psychology and sensationalism surrounding Suddenly Last Summer - this volume also offers Williams's related essay, The Past, the Present, and the Perhaps, and a chrology of the playwright's life and works.
- Author BiographyTennessee Williams (1911-1983) is the acclaimed author of many books of letters, short stories, poems, essays, and a large collection of plays, including The Glass Menagerie, A Streetcar Named Desire, Camino Real, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Orpheus Descending, The Night of the Iguana, and The Rose Tattoo. Dramatist Martin Sherman's plays have been produced in over 50 countries, and he has been nominated for two Tonys, two Oliviers, and two BAFTAS.
- Author(s)Tennessee Williams
- PublisherNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication24/12/2012
- SubjectDrama Texts, Plays & Screenplays
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Content Notefrontispiece
- Weight232 g
- Width130 mm
- Height202 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Introduction byMartin Sherman
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.