All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor at least two and a half millennia, the figure of Orpheus has haunted humanity. Half-man, half-god, musician, magician, theologian, poet and lover, his story never leaves us. He may be myth, but his lyre still sounds, entrancing everything that hears it: animals, trees, water, stones, and men. In this extraordinary work Ann Wroe goes in search of Orpheus, from the forests where he walked and the mountains where he worshipped to the artefacts, texts and philosophies built up round him. She traces the man, and the power he represents, through the myriad versions of a fantastical life: his birth in Thrace, his studies in Egypt, his voyage with the Argonauts to fetch the Golden Fleece, his love for Eurydice and journey to Hades, and his terrible death. We see him tantalising Cicero and Plato, and breathing new music into Gluck and Monteverdi; occupying the mind of Jung and the surreal dreams of Cocteau; scandalising the Fathers of the early Church, and filling Rilke with poems like a whirlwind. He emerges as t simply ather mythical figure but the force of creation itself, singing the song of light out of darkness and life out of death.
- Author BiographyAnn Wroe is the Briefings and Obituaries Editor of the Economist. After taking a degree in History and a doctorate in medieval history (Oxford, 1975) she worked at the BBC World Service, covering French and Italian politics. She joined the Economist in 1976 to cover American politics, and has held the posts of Books and Arts editor (1988-1992) and American editor (1992-2000). She has written five books: Lives, Lies and the Iran-Contra Affair; A Fool and His Money: Life in a Partitioned Medieval Town; Pilate: The Biography of an Invented Man; Perkin: A Story of Deception and Being Shelley: The Poet's Search for Himself. She is a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society and the Royal Society of Literature. She is married with three sons and lives in London.
- PrizesWinner of John D. Criticos Prize 2012.
- Author(s)Ann Wroe
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication05/07/2012
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight363 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $91.10
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $24.79Trending at AU $28.00
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.93
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $36.18
- AU $36.69Trending at AU $37.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.