All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOrthopaedic trauma represents 75% of the casualties in a disaster. Many of these patients will be cared for by international volunteers, but good intentions are t always matched by good preparation. This book explains how best to prepare for missions, how to deal with injuries in austere conditions, how to ensure a positive legacy, and the need for cultural, political, and legal awareness. All of the most common orthopaedic presentations encountered in the austere environment are covered. In addition to evidence-based research, cases and actual experiences from the authors' missions are included to illustrate and bring to life key points. This book, written by a team of international experts with extensive experience of challenging field missions, will be an ideal practical guide for volunteers and health care workers, helping them to deal with confusing, chaotic, and distressing situations with greater confidence and efficacy.
- Author BiographyMr. Juan de Dios Robinson BA MBBS MRCS Dip SICOT FRCS (Tr and Orth) MSc (Trauma Surgery) is a consultant in trauma and orthopaedics at the Major Trauma Centre in St Mary's Hospital, London. Mr. Robinson has had extensive experience in natural and man-made disasters. He has participated in rescue efforts and health projects following earthquakes and conflicts in Latin America and Asia. While working as an orthopaedic trauma consultant in the Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) Kunduz Trauma Centre, Afghanistan, he carried out close to 500 surgeries in 5 months. An active member of the UK International Emergency Trauma Register, Mr. Robinson has lectured on civilian orthopaedic trauma in the conflict and low resource environment in Europe, North America, and Asia. He was awarded an MBBS by the Imperial College School of Medicine, London, in 1999 and gained his membership from The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK, in 2006. He then passed the Intercollegiate Fellowship in Trauma and Orthopaedics and was elected as a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2011. Mr. Robinson completed prestigious Trauma Fellowships at Dalhousie University, Canada and Oxford. He also holds a Diploma from the International Society of Trauma and Orthopaedics (SICOT) and an MSc in Trauma Surgery (Military) and in completing an MSc in Surgical Science and Practice at the University of Oxford.
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication20/05/2016
- SubjectSurgery: Professional
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note277 black & white illustrations, 88 colour illustrations, 72 black & white tables, biography
- Weight1722 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byJuan de Dios Robinson
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.