All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1891, Oscar Wilde defined 'the highest criticism' as 'the record of one's own soul, and insisted that only by 'intensifying his own personality' could the critic interpret the personality and work of others. This book explores what Wilde meant by that statement, arguing that it provides the best standard for judging literary criticism about Wilde a century after his death. Melissa Kx examines a range of Wilde criticism in English - including the work of Lawrence Danson, Michael Patrick Gillespie, Ed Cohen, and Julia Prewitt Brown. Applying Wilde's standards to his critics, Kx discovers that the best of them take to heart Wilde's idea of the aim of criticism - 'to see the object as in itself it really is t.' By this, Wilde appreciates Walter Pater's profound observation that everyone sees through a 'thick wall of personality' and that, therefore, objectivity as conceived by Matthew Arld does t exist. Admiring Pater, Wilde became a prophet for Freud, his exact contemporary. Their intellectual sympathies, made obvious in Kx's exegesis, help to make the case for Wilde as a modern, t a Victorian. Melissa Kx's book Oscar Wilde: A Long and Lovely Suicide was published in 1994. She teaches at St. Peters College in New Jersey.
- Author BiographyMelissa Knox's book Oscar Wilde: A Long and Lovely Suicide was published in 1994. She teaches at St. Peters College in New Jersey.
- Author(s)Melissa Knox
- PublisherBoydell & Brewer Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2001
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleLiterary Criticism in Perspective
- Place of PublicationColumbia, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCamden House Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight498 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.51Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.