All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOther Clay is a survivor's account of World War II infantry combat, told by a front-line officer whose 116th Infantry Regiment landed at Omaha Beach on D-Day and fought its way across Europe to the Elbe.
Charles R. Cawthon joined the Virginia National Guard in 1940--to avoid being drafted and to spend his expected one year of service in officer training. When America entered the war, his division was among the first shipped out to England, where they spent two years preparing to spearhead the largest amphibious military operation in history.
On the beaches of Normandy, on June 6, 1944, the U.S. Army suffered its heaviest casualties since Gettysburg. The losses were greatest among the infantry companies that led the assault, and Cawthon describes first-hand the furious and deathly chaos of the daylong battle to get off the beach and up the heights. Reduced by casualties to half its pre-invasion strength, Cawthon's regiment still managed to fight off German counterattacks and engage in an all-out pursuit across France before the Germans counterattacked again at the Ardennes forest.
Thoughtful, candid, and revealing, Cawthon's memoir is a deeply felt and carefully recollected study of men confronting the face of death--their fear, their courage, their hunger and exhaustion, their loyalty to one ather, and their miraculous and unreasoning ability to go one more step, one more day, one more mile.
- Author BiographyCharles R. Cawthon (1912-96) retired from the U.S. Army Reserve in 1967 with the rank of colonel.
- Author(s)Charles R. Cawthon
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2004
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight299 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.12New
- AU $24.74New
- AU $19.88New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.70New
- AU $11.50Used
- AU $19.85New
- AU $31.89New
- AU $21.70New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.70Trending at AU $21.12
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $26.87
- AU $21.50Trending at AU $23.70
- AU $78.43Trending at AU $90.07
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.10
- AU $21.42Trending at AU $22.55
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $43.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.