All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFocusing on the socialization of the human use of other animals as resources in contemporary Western society, this book explores the cultural reproduction of human-nhuman animal relations in childhood. With close attention to the dominant practices through which children encounter animals and mainstream representations of animals in children's culture - whether in terms of the selective exposure of children to animals as pets or as food in the home or in school, or the representation of animals in mass media and social media - Our Children and Other Animals reveals the interconnectedness of studies of childhood, culture and human-animal relations. In doing so it establishes the importance of human-animal relations in sociology, by describing the sociological importance of animals in children's lives and children in animals' lives. Presenting a new typology of the various kinds of human-animal relationship, this conceptually invative book constitutes a clear demonstration of the relevance of sociology to the interdisciplinary field of human-animal relations and will appeal to readers across the social sciences with interests in sociology, childhood studies, cultural and media studies and human-animal interaction.
- Author BiographyMatthew Cole is an Associate Lecturer and Honorary Associate in Sociology at the Open University, UK. Kate Stewart is Principal Lecturer in Sociology at Nottingham Trent University, UK.
- Author(s)Kate Stewart,Matthew Cole
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/10/2014
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 5 b&w illustrations
- Weight520 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.95Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.