All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Modern classic' is the fitting accolade bestowed on Our Country's Good soon after its premiere in 1988, directed by Max Stafford-Clark at the Royal Court Theatre. The play tells the story of a production of George Farquhar's 1706 play The Recruiting Officer by a company of convicts in the early days of the Australian penal colony. The Page to Stage series offers insightful and authoritative introductions by well-kwn theatre professionals. Instead of an academic or analytical study of the play, Stafford-Clark brings his own involvement in its history, and his unrivalled experience as a director, to presenting an in-depth study of how it actually works on stage. After an introduction about the creation of the play, the reader is conducted through its action, the historical context, its characters, and how the play was rehearsed and designed for its original production.
- Author BiographyMAX STAFFORD-CLARK established Joint Stock in 1974, ran the Royal Court Theatre 1979-93, and then set up the extremely successful touring theatre company, Out of Joint, which he continues to run. He is the author of Letters to George (also published by NHB), a rehearsal journal about his own staging of The Recruiting Officer.
- Author(s)Max Stafford-Clark
- PublisherNick Hern Books
- Date of Publication11/11/2010
- SubjectLiterary Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitlePage to Stage
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 3
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNick Hern Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight118 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.97Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.04Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.