All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHannah McGlade's book bravely addresses the complex and fraught issue of Aboriginal child abuse. She argues that Aboriginal child sexual assault has been formed within the entrenched societal forces of racism, colonisation and patriarchy, yet cast in the Australian public domain as an Aboriginal 'problem', with controversial government responses critiqued as racist and paternalistic. McGlade highlights that n-Aboriginal society has yet to ackwledge the traumatic impacts of the sexual assault on Aboriginal children which was part and parcel of the European project of 'civilisation'. She provides detailed analysis of the legal systems response. While child sexual assault is a criminal offence, the Aboriginal experience of the law is tainted. Despite reforms to the law, the courtroom experience is based on re-victimisation and trauma which prevents the fundamental principle of equality before the law. McGlade believes that we should be guided by Indigeus human rights concepts and international Indigeus responses in addressing the problem. In doing so she believes that we can help to stem the harm to future generations.
- Author BiographyHannah McGlade is a Noongar woman living in Perth. She holds a Bachelor of Laws (Murdoch University 1995), a Masters in Law (Murdoch University 2001) and a PhD (Curtin University 2011). Admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor to the Supreme Court of Western Australia in 1996, Hannah has specialised in human rights law and her work has been the subject of many publications and test cases concerning Aboriginal human rights. She is a member of the WA State Administrative Tribunal Human Rights stream and an Adjunct Researcher at the Curtin Centre for Human Rights Education.
- Author(s)Hannah McGlade
- PublisherAboriginal Studies Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2012
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationCanberra
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintAboriginal Studies Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight455 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.49
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.88
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.78
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.