Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $43.95+ AU $29.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.34Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
About this product
- DescriptionWith this appreciation of three very different black writers, velist Darryl Pinckney reminds us that marginal or neglected literary figures have a lot to tell us about the history of a people who are always outsiders. Born in Jamaica in 1883, J. A. Rogers was an early member of the Harlem Renaissance--a newspaper columnist, historian of Negro achievement, polemicist against white supremacy, and amateur sociologist of interracial sex as evidenced in his massive three-volume work Sex and Race. Vincent O. Carter, who came of age in 1920's Kansas City, wrote The Bern Book, an exploration of being black in a Swiss rather than an American setting. Caryl Phillips, a son of the generation of black Caribbeans who returned to Great Britain after the Second World War, has explored the psychology of migration in fiction and nfiction that include The Final Passage, Higher Ground, and The Nature of Blood. Pinckney's essays on these writers, drawn from his Alain Locke Lectures at Harvard University, give us a rich understanding of what it has meant to be children of the diaspora over the past century.
- Author BiographyDarryl Pinckney is the winner of the Los Angeles Times Book Prize for fiction and author of the novel High Cotton and of the texts for Robert Wilson's productions of The Forest, Orlando, and Time Rocker. He is a frequent contributor to The New York Review of Books and many other periodicals. He lives in Oxford, England.
- Author(s)Darryl Pinckney
- PublisherThe Perseus Books Group
- Date of Publication18/04/2002
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBasic Civitas Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight257 g
- Width127 mm
- Height190 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.