All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOut of Action is the sequel to the best-selling Fireforce: One Man's War in the Rhodesian Light Infantry . Part 1, War, chronicles Chris Cocks' final 16 months of combat in the Rhodesian bush war, as a stick leader in PATU, the Police Anti-Terrorist Unit. It is a time of unbelievable cruelty as the part-time white reservists battle overwhelming odds, without air support and without a future. Part 2, Peace, recounts the author's painful adjustment to life as a civilian; a 15-year odyssey in the embryonic state of Zimbabwe. It is an intensely personal journey in which the author pulls punches as he describes his clumsy attempts to come to terms with the new dispensation of black Africa and himself. It is a cri de couer , the story of a young man, brutalised by war, who seeks escape in alcohol and drugs, in the process causing immeasurable pain and suffering to those around him. These too are the casualties of war. Ultimately, though, it is a story of hope and of a man's triumph over his own demons. About the Author Chris Cocks served with the Rhodesian Light Infantry from 1976-1979 in continuous combat situations. He drifted for the next 20 years before becoming a full-time writer and publisher in Johannesburg.
- Author BiographyChris Cocks was born in Salisbury, Rhodesia in 1957 and served three years and 28 days as a combat NCO with 3 Commando, the Rhodesian Light Infantry (the RLI, an airborne/airmobile unit), from 1976 to 1979. He was then offered a farming job in the country's Lowveld; however, the army refused to countenance a waiver of call-ups, so he attested into the British South Africa Police and spent the remaining 14 months of the bush war as a PATU (Police Anti-Terrorist Unit) stick leader and avoiding the Military Police. He moved to Johannesburg in 1996 and stumbled into a publishing career, specializing in southern African military history. He has written four books: the bestselling Fireforce: One Man's War in the Rhodesian Light Infantry, its sequel Out of Action, a steamy novel Cyclone Blues, and co-wrote The Saints, the RLI's history. He is the historian for The Rhodesian Light Infantry Regimental Association and edits its magazine, The Cheetah.
- Author(s)Chris Cocks
- PublisherPaladin Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/11/2010
- SubjectTrue Military / Combat Stories
- Place of PublicationColorado
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPaladin Press,U.S.
- Content Notephotos
- Weight499 g
- Width153 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.