Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.53Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.41Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionIn Out of Bounds, feminist Helen Lenskyj presents an insightful examination of the links between women's participation in sports and the control of their reproductive capacity and sexuality. She identifies the female frailty myth, the illusion of male athletic superiority and the concept of compulsory heterosexuality as powerful determinants of masculinity and femininity in the realm of sport. Looking at developments from the 1880's to the 1980's, Lenskyj discusses medical views of women's health and physical potential and examines the social attitudes and practices that keep girls and women from participating in the full range of sports and physical activities. Topics include contact sports, self-defence, fitness, bodybuilding and women-only sport. Photographs, memorabilia and eye-opening information covering 100 years reveals the missing links between women, sport and sexuality.
- Author BiographyDr. Helen Jefferson Lenskyj is Professor of Sociology at the University of Toronto.
- Author(s)Helen Lenskyj
- PublisherWomen's Press of Canada
- Date of Publication01/10/1986
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintWomen's Press of Canada
- Content Noteb/w photos
- Weight250 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.