All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe planet is under threat. And that threat comes from energy. So goes the standard argument. But according to David Howell and Carole Nakhle, this reasoning is wrong. In their provocative and original book, the authors argue that energy can become a tool for environmental protection, that energy and environment are t by definition in conflict with each other and that by pooling energy production and environmental protection ideas energy can be part of a solution rather than the problem. This book is firmly grounded in reality (given the demands of China, India and other developing ecomies) and makes specific proposals: a radical rethinking on energy investment strategies; massive incentives to develop alternative fuel techlogies; a ground-breaking public awareness strategy to redirect consumers and policy-makers to embrace fundamental (though essentially painless) change in consumption patterns. The solutions that Howell and Nakhle offer are unapologetically short term. This is because the energy challenges immediately ahead, if t handled right, could undermine all longer term attempts to limit climate change. Their important and vel approach makes this book essential reading for an understanding of today's bewildering environmental debates.
- Author BiographyDavid Howell (Lord Howell of Guildford) was Secretary of State for Energy and later for Transport in the Conservative governments during the 1980s. He is now Shadow Deputy Leader of the House of Lords and Shadow Spokesman for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs. Carole Nakhle is Energy Research Fellow at the University of Surrey, where she obtained her MSc in Finance Studies and her PhD in Energy Economics. A graduate of the University of Saint Joseph, Beirut, she also works as a petroleum analyst.
- Author(s)Carole Nakhle,David Howell
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication25/05/2007
- SubjectEnergy Technology & Electrical Engineering
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note8 maps and diagrams
- Weight318 g
- Width134 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.44Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $21.95
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.