All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.78
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.37
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
About this product
- DescriptionAs America watched the fall of the Berlin Wall with great enthusiasm, President George H. W. Bush called the incident simply a good development. He knew that the Cold War was far from over and that bringing it to an end would require t only symbolic gestures but also practical diplomacy.During Bush's presidency (1989-93), the Berlin Wall fell, the Warsaw Pact dissolved, Germany was reunified, and the Soviet Union ceased to exist. Yet, many people believe the Cold War ended under Reagan and that Bush's foreign policy achievements were merely an extension of Reagan's policies.In this in-depth look at the Bush administration's handling of the end of the Cold War, author Christopher Maynard argues that Bush actually made a fundamental shift in foreign policy regarding the Soviet Union. In part, he believes, historians have downplayed Bush's contribution because they have focused on the strong ideological rhetoric of Reagan and Gorbachev without looking at the day-to-day process of policymaking during the Cold War. Out of the Shadow incorporates a variety of important, previously unused sources. Its focused treatment of the topic will appeal to scholars interested in both the first Bush presidency and the Cold War.
- Author BiographyCHRISTOPHER MAYNARD is associate professor and chair of the Department of History and Political Science at the University of North Alabama. He received his Ph.D. in history from Louisiana State University and lives in Florence, Alabama.
- Author(s)Christopher Maynard
- PublisherTexas A & M University Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2009
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitleForeign Relations and the Presidency
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 9
- Place of PublicationCollege Station
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas A & M University Press
- Content Note17 b&w photos, bib., index
- Weight476 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.