Outside Shot: Big Dreams, Hard Times, and One County's Quest for Basketball Greatness by Keith O'Brien (Paperback / softback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $24.17+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.93+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA reporting tour de force and an utterly gripping account Outside Shot unmistakably triumphs, with the reader rooting hard for the Cardinals and delighted that O'Brien has brought his considerable skills to telling their story. Wayne Coffey, New York Times Book Review The Cardinals of Scott County High School were beloved once---and with good reason. For years, the boys and their legendary coach gave fans in central Kentucky, deep in the heart of basketball country, just what they wanted: state titles, national rankings, and countless trips to Kentucky's one-of-a-kind state tournament, where winning and losing can change a young man's life. But in 2009, with the ecomy sputtering, anger rising, and Scott County mired in a two-year drought, fans had begun to lose faith in the boys. They weren't the heroes of Scott County anymore; they were mini-athlete gods, haunted by dreams, burdened by expectations, and desperate to escape through the only means they knew: basketball. In Outside Shot, Keith O'Brien takes us on an epic journey, from the bluegrass hills and broken homes of rural America, to inner-city Lexington, to Kentucky's most hallowed hall: Rupp Arena, where high school tournament games are kwn to draw twenty-thousand people, and where, for the players and their fans, it feels like anything is possible. The narrative follows four of the team's top seniors and their coach as they struggle to redeem themselves in the face of impossible odds: once-loyal fans w turned against them, parents who demand athletic greatness, and scouts who weigh their every move. It delves deep inside the lives of the boys, their families, and their community---divided along lines of race, politics, religion, and sports. And it chronicles t only the high-stakes world of Kentucky basketball, but the battle for the soul of small-town America. A story of inspiration and poignancy, filled with moments of drama on and off the court, Outside Shot shows that if it's hard to win basketball games, it can be even harder to win at life itself.
- Author BiographyKEITH O'BRIEN has written for The New York Times Magazine, The Boston Globe, and National Public Radio. In 2009 he won the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. He lives in New Orleans. Outside Shot is his first book.
- Author(s)Keith O'Brien
- PublisherSt. Martin's Griffin
- Date of Publication04/03/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBall Games: Court & Indoor
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSt. Martin's Griffin
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.90
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.