Outside the Box: Cardboard Design Now by Black Dog Publishing London UK (Paperback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $23.18+ AU $3.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by rarewaves-outlet
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $51.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOutside the Box: Cardboard Design Now reconfigures the conception of a generic industrial material into one of myriad artistic, creative, and practical purposes and potential, revealing just how far it is possible to push the medium by the way of contemporary design. Like paper, cardboard is often overlooked as a medium with predominantly practical uses. The versatility of the material makes it almost unavoidably ubiquitous, but t necessarily inspiring. At closer viewing, this is changing and progressing to an altered, contemporary attitude to the possibilities of cardboard s uses in contemporary design. From minimalist packaging, children s toys and decoration to furniture and even small and large-scale interior architecture, cardboard is w being embraced by designers around the globe as a medium with huge potential. Examples of these designs with cardboard include; a cardboard wendy-house, designed by Peter Henke at Dutch firm Kidsonroof; pop-out toys and decorations created by A4A; interior design companies who re-articulated card-based storage as elegant, minimal additions to household product design and the internationally rewned, minimalist Japanese retailer Muji which has created products such as cardboard speakers and picture frames. In addition to its potential as a durable material for construction, there is also the sustainable credentials of the material. Cardboard is positioned at the forefront of the ecologically-minded, whether by utilising reconstituted recycled material or by the use of off cuts and residue in industrial product manufacture and contemporary design. The environmental benefits are an encouraging factor for eco-conscious designers and Outside the Box profiles some of these leading designs. Drawing on historical and traditional approaches, Outside the Box: Cardboard Design Now charts the medium s evolution through to modern practices, profiling some of today s most inspirational and provocative artists and designers working across the fields of art, design and sculpture. Among the artists featured is Frank Gehry, whose Vitra-produced corrugated cardboard furnitureutilizing both modern and archaic designshas received much international acclaim. The work of Shigeru Ban is included, whose cardboard disaster relief housing, churches and cardboard schools that deconstruct after use, have seen him exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art New York and cited as a leading auteur in the forward-thinking realm of eco-architecture. Outside the Box: Cardboard Design Now, is attractively packaged with a cardboard cover and pull out features, showing the reader the possibilities of cardboard design. As a companion to Black Dog Publishing s Paper: Tear, Fold, Rip, Crease, Outside the Box unpacks the creative possibilities of a material wrongly dismissed as staid and uninspiring.
- PublisherBlack Dog Publishing London UK
- Date of Publication09/09/2010
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlack Dog Publishing London UK
- Content Note200 illustrations
- Weight816 g
- Width210 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byDuncan McCorquodale
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.