All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDecember 26, 1862. On the day after Christmas, in Mankato, Minnesota, thirty-eight Sioux Indians were hanged on the order of President Lincoln. It stands today as the greatest mass execution in the history of the United States. In Over the Earth I Come, Duane Schultz brilliantly retells one of America's most violent and bloody events--the Great Sioux Uprisings of 1862. In less than one week in August, the Sioux went on a rampage throughout Minnesota that left hundreds of settlers dead. Whole families were burned alive in their farmhouses. Children were nailed to barn doors, girls raped by a dozen braves and hacked to pieces, babies dismembered in front of their horrified mothers. Nearly forty thousand settlers became refugees, and for one brief moment in time, the Sioux people were restored to their ancestral land and reclaimed their pride and dignity. In this well-researched and insightful narrative, Duane Schultz uncovers the events and injustices that sparked this violent uprising. The Sioux of Minnesota, perceived as a peaceful tribe, harbored intense resentment over the lands appropriated by the whites, the disappearance of the buffalo, broken treaties, and the lies and deceptions of the government and its representatives. In the summer of 1862, delayed annuity payments from land treaties and the refusal of traders to release food to starving Indians sparked the first of a series of wars between Indians and whites. Over the Earth I Come recounts a part of American history that should never be forgotten.
- Author BiographyDennis C. Shultz is an environmental photographer living and working in Rockport, Maine. Scott Dickerson is the Executive Director of Coastal Mountains Land Trust and Coordinator of the Ducktrap Coalition, which he helped found in 1995.
- Author(s)Duane Schultz
- PublisherSt Martin's Press
- Date of Publication31/08/1993
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSt Martin's Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width146 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.