Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $96.05+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $25.95+ AU $50.00 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionFrom one of the world s leading experts on reading and dyslexia, the most comprehensive, up-to-date, and practical book yet to help us understand, identify, and overcome the reading problems that plague American children today. For the one in every five children who has dyslexia and the millions of others who struggle to read at their own grade levels and for their parents, teachers, and tutors this book can make a difference. Drawing on recent scientific breakthroughs many of them in her own laboratory Dr. Shaywitz demystifies the subject of reading difficulties and explains how a child can be helped to become a good reader. She discusses early diagsis in young children as well as the diagsing of older children, young adults, and adults. Dr. Shaywitz explains why some bright adults can read only very slowly, and what they can do about it. Her book makes clear how the latest research, including new brain imaging studies, is uncovering the mechanisms underlying dyslexia and has led to effective treatments for each age group. Dr. Shaywitz instructs parents in what they can do year-by-year, grade-by-grade, step-by-step for a dyslexic child. She lays out a home program for enhanced reading; guides parents in choosing the best school for their child and in working with teachers; and suggests ways of raising and preserving the child s self-esteem. She provides exercises, teaching aids, information on computer programs, and many other invaluable resources.In addition, her book corrects such popular (and harmful) myths as the belief that dyslexia is primarily a male problem, that children with dyslexia see words backward, that dyslexia is linked to intelligence. She shows us how, although dyslexia cant be outgrown, its effects can, with careful planning and hard work, be overcome.Dr. Shaywitz lifts the barrier of igrance surrounding dyslexia and replaces it with the comfort of kwledge. Here is a trusted source to which you can turn for information, advice, guidance, and explanation. In sum, here is cutting-edge research translated into an easy-to-follow plan of action offering help and hope to all who have reading problems, and their families.
- Author BiographySally Shaywitz, M.D., is a neuroscientist, a professor of pediatrics at Yale, and codirector of the Yale Center for the Study of Learning and Attention. She is a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences, and of the National Reading Panel, mandated by Congress to determine the most effective reading programs. She has written for Scientific American and the New York Times Magazine. Dr. Shaywitz lectures throughout the country and appears regularly in national media. She lives with her husband in Woodbridge, Connecticut.
- Author(s)SALLY SHAYWITZ
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication06/06/2003
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House USA Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight820 g
- Width168 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine38 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.