All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDr. Peter Edelstein has learned by listening to his patients and their families--whose lives have suddenly been up-ended by a diagsis of cancer--that they need a partner to help them navigate their new, complex world. It is critical that cancer patients take charge of their health and own their cancer in order to remain in control of this confusing and frightening process. This extremely accessible book is that expert partner, offering a combination of crucial medical education clearly and comfortably explained along with personal guidance gleaned from real patient experiences. In an informed, compassionate, and respectful manner, Dr. E translates the challenging medical and psychological issues facing the cancer patient into lay terms, as well as outlining options for owning the path ahead. The result empowers patients and their loved ones to take control of their treatment regardless of cancer type or stage, to maintain their independence, and to oversee the processes which will determine their ultimate survival and quality of life.
- Author BiographyDr. Peter Edelstein has years of experience working as a surgeon and working closely with cancer patients. After completing medical school at the prestigious University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Dr. E completed his general surgical internship, residency, and chief residency at the respected University of California, San Diego Medical Center. During his resident training, Dr. E spent an additional two years as an NIH Research Fellow in the Surgical Oncology Laboratory, studying cellular membrane function in colon cancer cell lines. A highly sought-after speaker, he has delivered literally hundreds of interactive lectures, both for the medical community and general population during his training at The University of Chicago, the University of California, and the University of Minnesota, and subsequently as a member of the Surgical Faculty at Stanford University. Dr. E has authored numerous articles and book chapters as well as serving as an Editor for a renowned Cancer Encyclopedia and the Senior Editor of a book on colon and rectal cancer. He has served in executive roles with venture capital-financed medical device companies and others. His passion in caring for people diagnosed with cancer expands well beyond the operating room and into the world of the overwhelming emotions, fears, and limited knowledge in which live those with cancer and the family and friends who love them.
- Author(s)Peter Edelstein
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication01/04/2014
- SubjectFamily & Health: General
- Place of PublicationGuilford
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Lyons Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight18 g
- Width140 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.23
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $27.50Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.79
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.