All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis paperback edition of the Oxford Junior Dictionary features over 10,000 entries, words and phrases, in alphabetical order, in a clear and accessible design. Each entry contains simple, easy-to-read numbered meanings, and word classes, and example sentences. Tinted panels throughout the text focus on overused words, words belonging to the same family, and key language topics (such as connectives or apostrophes). Ather unique feature is the example sentences by well-kwn children's authors, such as Dick King-Smith, Jacqueline Wilson, and Roald Dahl. These show the words actually in use to reinforce meaning but they also hook children in to using language effectively. Unique to Oxford, they take children beyond looking up a word for spelling or meaning - and into thinking about reading and writing independently. The full alphabet appears on every page with a dark blue tab on the letter of the page - plus the dictionary quartiles in light blue. Together, these are invaluable navigation tools for children practising their alphabet skills. Guidewords also appear on every page. Extra material at the back is accurately levelled for the curriculum at this age. It includes information for spelling success, punctuation, simple grammar, key overused words (with alternatives) as well as word origins, prefixes and suffixes.
- Author(s)Sheila Dignen
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication03/05/2007
- SubjectChildren's Dictionaries
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight297 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Educational LevelUK School Key Stage 2
Most relevant reviews
- brigetabarno201...18 Jul, 2016by
Very happy with item i reconmend it .
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.