All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $16.41Trending at AU $22.77
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $25.99Trending at AU $32.06
About this product
- DescriptionThe people of Oxfordshire certainly kw how to enjoy themselves, and take part in many varied and remarkable customs, sports and traditions that are held annually around the county. Some of these, like the May Morning and Beating the Bounds, go back for centuries but have been altered and adapted over the years. Others are relatively recent revivals, such as the agricultural show at Thame, which is Victorian in origin. The last fifty years has seen an unprecedented number of new celebrations, which have become traditions in their own right. Foremost among these are the Cropredy and Towersey folk festivals. Above all, these events are community-based and often also charity fund-raisers. Some of those featured here include the Bampton Great Shirt race, egg jarping at Chinr, the Banbury Hobby Horse festival, Abingdon Morris Dancers, Mock Mayor Elections, the Pumpkin Club, and the pub game Aunt Sally, which is virtually unkwn outside of the county, among many others. Illustrated with 180 superb photographs, this book features funfairs and fetes, celebrations and carnivals, games and shows, each one a unique celebration of Oxfordshire's heritage.
- Author BiographyMarilyn Yurdan was born in Oxford and has lived in Oxfordshire all her life. She was assistant custodian at the University of Oxford's Sheldonian Theatre for 22 years. She has been awarded a master of studies in English Local History from the University of Oxford, and has written numerous books on the history of the county, including The Street Names of Oxford, Oxford in the 1950s & '60s, Banbury In Old Photographs, and Oxfordshire at Work.
- Author(s)Marilyn Yurdan
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication30/03/2011
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight300 g
- Width170 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.